Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Small Joys

This afternoon I've been in a surprisingly good mood. This is in contrast to my latest series of ups & downs over the past few days. Right before I left the office I answered a phone call. They asked for pastor wiley. I of course smiled, mostly because I knew I was talking to a telemarketer...but not just a telemarketer...a christian telemarketer. I played along. "Sorry, no pastor wiley here." They sounded shocked..."isn't this Hillside Foursquare Church?" "Yes." "Then who's the pastor?" "Who are you with?" "A ministry in Texas...who is your pastor?" The guy really sounded bothered. That was ok with me. I waited a second & hung up. About 3 minutes later the phone rang & I answered with a normal hello. It went something like this.

"Hello?" "How about Louie Locke? He's the pastor." "Yes, there is a pastor louie at this church." "Then why didn't you just tell me who the pastor was?" He was quite agitated at this point & I of course picked up on that. "Excuse me sir, what ministry are you with in Texas?" He responded, "I doubt you're even a ministry by how you're talking to me!" I responded, "Is that supposed to make me do something?" He hung up. I hope he calls tomorrow or maybe writes an email. That is one of the better calls I've had recently. But there was this drunk guy who was calling weekly. He was pretty weird. Kept talking about needing a miracle, his meds, & a couple perverts who were trying to get him to do stuff he didn't want to. Who wouldn't want to answer the phones @ the church?

4 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger SeƱor H said...

Do you get a lot of telemarketer calls at the church? You may have missed a deal of a life time, he was probably selling those holy rocks from Texas, then you could have sent some to the drunk guy who needed a miracle, two birds with one stone.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger TimmyMac said...

People who enjoy their work are truly blessed, oh blessed one . . .

Good story . . .

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

funny stuff

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger scoeyd said...

Wiley. Bob Wiley. From "What About Bob?"

I'm not a slacker. I'm doing the work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home