Monday, November 03, 2008

The Sheel's 5k

This saturday the fam decided to do the inaugural Sheel's 5k. They called it the 1st annual Sheel's 5k. Brint wondered if you could call it annual if it's the first one. Any thoughts? The Weez came along too. She walked with Jessica & Baby Todd & I ran with Brint. It was fairly poor weather with the wind but without wind it would've been nice with the 50 degree temp. We arrived to get our packets at 7:15, which gave us 45 min until the race. I seem to have a pre-race tradition of a deuce finding its way to the chamber. The guy at Sheel's pointed me to the Johnny on the spot. No thanks, I did that at Tahoe during the last race. We decided Starbucks would be nice. It was. Clean bathroom. Right before the race started, this younger dude came over to us & stated that he was a first time runner & had trained for about 10 days. I let him know that I suggest starting slow & finding some young ladies to run behind. He'd be fine if he stuck with that. We started the race & I was surprised at how many were running fast. Or maybe that's an indication of me running slow...

I wasn't impressed with the costumes people wore, but I did have a few highlights. First was Brint trying to pin his number on his chest while running. That was brave & pretty humorous. Second was the smell. Probably not what you're thinking...I kept smelling chocolate chip cookies. It turned out that it was the Sheel's fudge factory cooking it up fresh. It was awesome. I finished the race without major problems & I was only 19 seconds slower than my previous tuesday run where I about killed myself. Baby Todd was pissed. She hates heavy winds in her face.

As we crossed the finish line we were greeted by a very good cover band. I don't underestimate their talent. These guys were really good. They were playing stuff from the 60's & 70's. Baby Todd thought they were too loud & I agreed. Sadly, my ankle hurts this morning. I think it's a combination of the running mixed with soccer yesterday. I guess that's all part of it.

6 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger digapigmy said...

there are so many euphemisms for poo in this post that I would like to point out the fudge smell was actual fudge. and I think it smelled more like cookies than fudge anyhow.

I strongly recommend that you pin your numbers on before you run.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger miss jessica said...

I smelled chocky chip cookies, as well...

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Destro Jones said...

"deuce in the chamber"

Never heard that one. Nice.

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger scoeyd said...

You should have let Ellie G run too. All you'd have had to do is hold a fudge about 2 feet in front of her like a carrot on a stick & she'd have run for days.

She likes her candy.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger No(dot dot)el said...

scheels had a marathon. where did you run? very cool did you make good time?

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Murdoc said...

It was just a 5k. We ran out of the parking lot down to prater & back around the marina to sheels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home