Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ich Kaufe Shirley


Vegas:

I picked up Moses @5;25 on thursday morning & headed for the airport. Good start to the morning. I usually wake up at 5 anyway so this wasn't a big deal. I have learned my lesson with travel. When I have traveled in the past, I either eat horrible or eat things that I don't normally eat. This is a recipe for disaster. No more. We got to the airport & went through security without being violated (this has been an issue for me in the past especially with asian women). Getting ready to board the flight & Moses was standing behind me (Southwest has adjusted how they line up, you are now given a number to go with your A,B,C). I turned & asked, "whatcha doin in my waters?" A lady in the next line says, "I'm old Greg." This was a fantastic start to the day. If you don't know what I'm talking about & care to, here's a link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=u_hMnT44Etk

Made it to Vegas. My friend was there waiting for us just as I hoped. Went & got the car. Pretty awesome. Little did I know that the name Shirley was painted on both front doors. I guess it was cool in the 80's. I guess it's even cooler now.


After a stop @ the DMV for a moving permit & a stop at Morris' house to wash the windows & hit the bathroom, we were off. Got out about an hour & 45 min later than I wanted but it was all good. I've never made the drive between Vegas & Reno. There's not much out there but secret military stuff, dirt, & brothels. The landscape is really strange. Moses commented several times how the bushes look like they were planted in rows. The mountains were the weirdest for me. Anyway, Tonopah was cold & gas was expensive. We made it back in about 7 hours. No speeding, 65-70 the whole way. That was another strange thing. Hardly anyone was actually driving the speed limit. 5-10 under. Back to getting back. It was Valentine's day & we still had work to do. We went to Costco for flowers & of course got comments from the lonely women working there how late we were. Next was See's candy. In the end it was good. The pound of chocky covered caramels lasted about 3 days. They're Jessica's favey.

I don't really like the idea of a long road trip but I usually enjoy them. Having Moses there made the trip fun. Especially when he was going through the glove box treasure chest. God bless old people who don't drive very much. The car just turned 27,000 miles yesterday. I think it's time for an oil change, new speakers, tires, & some sweet rims.

11 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger laura said...

I love that it says Shirley in a fanciful font, and pink. I think it could stick. Maybe you should change your blogger ID.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger SeƱor H said...

You can't run from your cars identity! You car will forever be shirley whether or not you take that off, so you might as well leave it.

As for Ole Gregg, that is a great feeling that we are not the only ones who enjoy such weirdness.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger scoeyd said...

Shirley is a real beauty, reminds me of my 81 Rabbit w/navy blue velour interior. I pursued my woman via a long distance relationship in that car, & made many a trip from Reno-Sonora to visit her, waiting for her to get out of High School.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger JayBird said...

congrats!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Destro Jones said...

Surely you can't be serious.

...

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Murdoc said...

About which part?

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Murdoc said...

Don't call me Shirley.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger digapigmy said...

7 hours doing the speed limit?

for some reason i thought the drive was longer than that. that's not bad at all.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Murdoc said...

Laura, the writing is in a manly brown.

Brint- I've heard of it being done in 6.5 hours. We weren't pushing it though. Unproven car with older tires = potential for bad.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger laura said...

I took note of the color today in person... too bad, pink becomes you.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger JayBird said...

i forgot to look at it yesterday. dagnabbit. please show me on sunday this wonder-mobile.

btw, vw rabbits are the ultimate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home