Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My fieldtrip to the OBGYN

So the word is mostly out. Jessica is pregnant & is enjoying almost every minute of it. I think the puking part is slightly overrated but I hear it's a good sign & should only last another week or two. Yesterday was her first official appointment with the good doctor. The good doctor is actually someone that I've known for a long time. The funny thing is that through my interactions with him when I was younger, he was inspired to have kids of his own. He now has 4. I could make this into a post all about "the good doctor" but I'll attempt to stay on topic.
Anyway, I'd never been to the jiny doctor before so I was a little apprehensive with what was about to happen. It was all normal until the nurse came into the room and told Jessica that she had to get naked & put on this gown that leaves the caboose uncovered. (I actually wanted to take one or two home). The nurse left & Jessica started to "get ready." This was weird because I had several different thoughts going through my mind & I had to remind myself that the clothes were coming off for a reason that didn't include me. Once I got over it, the doctor finally came in. This was the scenario that had gone through my mind several times & every time it ended awkwardly. So anyway, the "checkup" ensued & it was way less awkward than I thought, however, I was just waiting for the doctor to look at me & give a dirty smile, at which point I would attack to defend the honor of my woman. It didn't happen, but I was ready. He couldn't find a heartbeat which was a little unsettling, but he said that we'd do a ultrasound to we could see what was going on. The whole time I was thinking, "God, a little help here." We got into the room & the procedure began. Soon I saw the image. It was moving. This brought different feelings ranging from relief, that baby was alive, to surprise that the baby was real & not just something that we talked about. It looks like the baby is either a week older than we thought or is just big, which would make sense. It looks like an alien which took me straight to the X-Files. I can't remember my wife being abducted, but I asked if she had any flashing memories of bright lights and wierd experiments. No luck. It's still weird to say the least. Everything is good & I left feeling good about the visit & I even shook the docs hand when we left. I'm ok, until the next visit...

14 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger scoeyd said...

Ah, the Good Doctor. Nice. Thanks for the update. I saw the pic of your baby that you mentioned. It does look remarkably like an alien... one of the Grays, I believe. That's why sci-fi is so stinking cool - life imitates art all the time.

So, what x-files/sci-fi names are you considering for your progeny? Let's see - Fox, Ringo, Langley, Frohike, Skinner, CGB Spender for boys... Scully, Reyes, Marita Covurrubias, Diana Fowley for a girl?

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger TimmyMac said...

I made a few mistakes going through this process the first time that I hope you can avoid at my expense . . .

1. The doctor won't let you take your turn in the stirrups.
2. The pretnatal vitamins are for her, not you.
3. It's okay for her to take a bath, the baby won't drown.

I hope that helps!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger digapigmy said...

i'm having a hard time adjusting to the idea that i will soon have to live in a world where ben is a father. wierd!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Murdoc said...

A ligitimate one at that. It's finally official.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Murdoc said...

As for names, that is to be seen at a later date. I'll have to see how the alien develops & re-evaluate at that time.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger georgia said...

georgia said...
"stay at home dad thing"?

Is there something that you and Jessica haven't told me?

8:53 PM


Murdoc said...
Georgia,

Never. We both know that you'll be the first person I tell.

9:12 PM

What do you have to say for yourself?????

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Murdoc said...

Georgia, first off, you need help. When you create conversations from your alternate reality it makes baby Jesus really sad. I know a way to help you. You just have to want help.

Georgia says...
"I need help pastor."

Ben says...
"Please call me Ben."

Georgia says...
"I need help Ben."

Ben says...
"Have you read your Bible today?"

And then Ben thought...
"Thanks Tim."

This all took place between 8:17pm & 10:04:25pm.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger georgia said...

Check on your December blog, Pastor Ben. What a short memory you have! Here's where you went wrong:

1. Promises are sacred. Now you need to confess and repent, and ask forgiveness.
2. As an employer, you need to learn to treat your employees with more respect.
3. If you read the Bible enough, perhaps in time you will learn these things.
In the meantime, I absolve you of
your trespass. But really, as a Pastor, you should be setting a better example.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger moses said...

yeah, ben... jerk. you should be nice. (p.s. my word verification is adebt)

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger David said...

va-jay-jay

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Well...now that I am here... said...

Congrats again Ben. Cliche but you will be a great father. You two have my prayers.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Chemane said...

Did you say "jiny" doctor??? The "man/boy at work" sign definitely needs to go back up!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger shontell said...

Well, I think "genious doctor" was already taken. Although, Gina doctor may work. You will have to get permission first.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Kurt Libby said...

ben,
i only have your @fountainheadcc address, so i can't e-mail you, but i've been catching up on blogs since summer is here, and work requires less of me. rhonda and i just had our 4th anniversary, so those days when we used to hang out and play gta are long gone, but i just wanted to congratulate you on the little locke. i'll be in reno the weekend of the 16th to say goodbye to the oakeses, so maybe we can hang out and catch up. bullys? i'll talk to you later. --k.lib misterlib@gmail.com
misterlib.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home