Tuesday, November 15, 2005

What trickery is this?


Some pretty funny stuff happened last week with some students in youth group. One of the girls birthday was on thursday & she informed me that she was having some friends over for a party so she wouldn't be able to come to youth group that week. I invited her to bring her friends to youth group as part of the party. To my surprise, she brought 17 of her closest friends. I can't name 17 people I'd want to hang out with for an overnighter...oh to be a 13 year old girl again.

Anyway, youth group started as it always does with some delicious food & as we approached the end of dinner time, I told everyone to throw away their trash & go to the bathroom because we were gunna start. A couple of the new girls asked what we were starting. I told them that we were starting youth group & they had no clue what that was. This was good stuff. It came to my attention that not all of the girls knew that they were coming to youth group, but just thought they were going to party at a church. I had a good laugh & noticed that Dave did too, as I explained what youth group was to a group of wide eyed middle school girls.

I talked to the birthday girl's mom, and told her that it seemed like alot of the girls had no clue what they were going to be doing there. She laughed & said that she didnt tell them all & the ones that she did tell freaked out because they were wearing shorts & were afraid that the pastor was going to be harsh because they weren't "dressed appropriately" for church. The entire night was pretty funny to me. I felt bad for a second that the girls were tricked into coming to youth group, but only for a second. The night turned out really good & I haven't heard anything negative or received any complaints from parents.

12 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger JayBird said...

did ya have enough food? that's totally cool. hopefully, you'll have some returning. this may be a question for a post or something, but how did you explain what youth group was to them?

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger SeƱor H said...

Ben tried to explain it by asking if they had ever been to church...but to no avail. I thought this was awesome. If half of our kids brought half of the number of people in this group once a month, imagine how many people would come to know the Lord. I am very proud of that group and I think some high schoolers learned a lesson with being bold enough to bring your party to Youth Group.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Murdoc said...

I told them that Youth group was a place where middle & high schoolers could come & meet with people their age, grow in their relationships with God & each other or something similar. It's true, I think some people were definitely shocked by the # of new people & that someone brought that many friends. She made herself very vunerable by doing that. She risked being mocked, ridiculed, and all the other bad stuff that can sometimes happen, but instead she saw 5 or 6 of her friends start a relationship with Jesus.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger JayBird said...

that's so cool.

btw, that pic look like it might be @ old oak ranch? right?

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Murdoc said...

One of my giftings is keeping old crap in good & wearable condition. I sadly gave away many of my older clothes that look new to the high school guys. You have probably seen your brothers wearing some of my old navy shirts.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger No(dot dot)el said...

now i understand your dislike for my brother, it's cause he stole your gym shorts that you were hopin to preserve for all time. it all comes clear now.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Murdoc said...

Yeah, what a jerkoff. They were actually my 8th grade basketball shorts made my champion. They were nice & he stole them from us.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Murdoc said...

Who ever said shorts at church was bad?

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger digapigmy said...

that's pretty incredible. how in the crap did that girls mom get 18 kids to the church? if i could learn that secret, my life would be a whole lot easier.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger David said...

I'm just gonna let that one go, Brent.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Murdoc said...

Letting go is a sign of weakness.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger digapigmy said...

hey david, you want to come over to neverland ranch this weekend?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home